Financial Aid & Funding


All applicants to the graduate program in Horticulture are automatically considered for financial support. There is no need to submit a separate application. Most of our students are supported through research assistantships, but additional sources of internal financial support including teaching assistantships, project assistantships, scholarships, and fellowships may also be available.

We highly encourage students interested in financial support to pursue external funding opportunities in addition to the awards and appointments listed below.

International students should refer to the International Applicant Financial Information website when preparing their applications. Applicants will submit their financial information only after a favorable admission decision has been made.

Program Information

UW Guide

Contact Information

For more information on the Horticulture graduate programs, please contact: Kathryn Jones, Student Services Coordinator at

Types of Funding at UW-Madison

Research Assistantships (RA)

A research assistantship (RA) is a financial award for a graduate student working on research directly related to his or her program of study. Research assistants in the Department of Horticulture are typically appointed at the 50% level. A graduate student on a 50% RA earns tuition remission, health benefits, and a monthly salary.

Teaching Assistantships (TA)

A teaching assistantship (TA) is paid employment for a graduate student who has been assigned teaching responsibilities for a specific course. A graduate student on a 33% or greater TA earns tuition remission, health benefits, and a monthly salary.

Program & Project Assistantships (PA)

A Program or Project Assistantship (PA) is another form of employment for graduate students. Like a TA, a PA appointment of at least 33% includes tuition remission, health benefits, and a monthly salary. These types of positions are rarely available in Horticulture; however, PA appointments can be found in other departments and offices on campus.


The University of Wisconsin offers programs that support diversity in graduate education; interested applicants should visit the Science and Medicine Graduate Research Scholars Program website for more information.

The Department of Horticulture offers limited internal fellowships; current students will be notified by email when fellowship competitions are announced.

The Graduate School provides information about additional fellowship opportunities on their website.

External Funding

Additional opportunities for funding exist beyond the support offered by the University of Wisconsin-Madison. For example, candidates may also bring with them external funding from a variety of sources including: foreign government sponsorship, industry sponsorship, and independent fellowships (e.g., Fulbright Scholars).